Painting to Please your inner Artist - and not the Critics.


Often we (and by we, I refer to those who paint and play miniature's games) get caught up in the duplication or attempted duplication of the 'accepted' appearance of any given model.  Armies, Factions, and other 'groupings', tend to focus on a common color scheme, and are thereby thought of as Cannon for the look and feel of the army.  An example of this would be the Space Marines, with their signature 'Space Marine' Blue, gold and white trim, and the iconic white faction symbols.

Though having your force immediately recognized on the table is something to be proud of; there tends to be the associated let-down of having a stock painted army - no matter the level of professionalism we put into our work.

So, with that in mind I can honestly say that I rarely ever stick to the commonly accepted or template provided method to paint an army.  Sometimes I drastically detour from the norm, other times I simply add my own spin to the mix.

Case in point - here I have a very small Trollbloods Faction Army.  I think it points out at score of 15.  Now then, I've chosen to stick with the basic skin coloring of the Trollbloods, since I think the blue with ashen highlights is rockin.  But I'd still like to add my own little flare, so how did I go about it.

Typically the look of the sculpt is enough to tell anyone familiar with the game in question, just what faction or army you're playing.  This Slag Troll, part of the Trollbloods faction, is typically painted like this: 

It's blue and mean and looks great, BUT it's not going to stand out from someone's similarly painted Slag Troll.  I decided to play with the color pallet a bit and considered adding the Troll base colors and highlights to the rock growths coming from the skin of the beast.  That left me to create something I felt was a bit more 'Slaggy' (if that's even a word), and to me that meant grimy. 

To achieve this I used the Trollblood Highlight color as the base color for the model, then added shadows using a magenta hue, followed by dirtying around the rock growths on the skin.  I also added some green to the mouth, since this thing spits acid (which is basically slag), and viol-la!
Something a bit more artistic in interpretation and unique.


 Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying mine is better or my color choices are superior, I'm just saying it satisfies my inner artist and his need to create, which is basically what it's all about in the first place. 

Additionally, here I decided to stick with a reasonable representation of the typical Trollbloods coloring for my Warlock Madrak.  I do, however, decide to give his clothing a change to blue instead of brown, and wanted to add some pop to this otherwise earthy tones by adding some green to his amulet.  Additionally, since he is a leader-type figure, I wanted his weapon to look more regal.  To this end I decided to paint the axe handle and head fixture like Marble. 


 Again, this pleases my inner artist and make him smile. 

Here are some pictures of the rest of my small army.  I hope you enjoy!








Until Next Time,

Casey



Comments

Popular Posts