Cavalry ! Well, the ogre version...

So it about time we got some mobility to this melee intensive army.  I am going to add 4 Mournfang and a giant Thundertusk to the ranks!

On a side note, one of the cav units, and the big Wooly Mammoth, will be entered into a painting competition this month, over at Miniwargaming.  I'll add the voting and results page once it's up.

Anyway, this is my current progress on the project.  4 Mournfang built and starting to toss together the Thundertusk.  Did I mention that I really do not enjoy assembling models?  That's for another time, here's the pic.


UPDATE

Okay, 4 days later and I've been working on the Mournfang.  First I primed the little buggers with my good old stand by, Vallejo Grey Primer, then started to work on the undercoat.  I decided to do a reverse tiger patten on the mounts (White stripes) so I started by basing the model in Bone White from Vallejo.  I then added some Vallejo Dead White to the areas I wanted to highlight.

 

Next came the tedious task of masking the stripes using your basic painters masking tape.  I unfortunately got so caught up in wanting to see the finished product that I forgot to photograph this step,,.whoops.


Regardless, we move on.  Next I used Beasty Brown, Charred Brown and Black to fade in the colors of the fur.  Now, there are severely areas on this model that have bare skin, so I added a little purplish skin tone to those areas to represent a toughened exposed and possibly battle damaged area.


I finished all the typical base coating, then added some highlights to the saddles.  Next was the task of breaking up the hard lines of the tiger stripes with some selective highlighting to the areas.  My process here was to keep the basic structure of the stripe so it wouldn't just fade away, while covering the extreme straights angles left behind by the mask.


 Lastly, I added a little wash to the metals and highlighted them with a little White.
 



Next up, the riders!

UPDATE

Okay, the riders are done and mounted.  Now I just have to get the bases done, but in the mean time, ENJOY!  This was one fun job-lot.  I really enjoyed it!






Comments

Popular Posts