Paint While We Wait!

Okay, so while we're keeping an eye on our auction (and secretly hoping the Auction Title was mislabeled and no one else is watching it hehe) we have to keep ourselves busy.  Like I preciously said, the faction we picked is a Horde Army, meaning a ton of models.  So instead of wasting time I decided to get a jump-start on our project.  I have a buddy who owns a copy of the Island of Blood two player starter, and lucky for us he wants to play the light skinned elf things (A little Skaven speak thrown in for you :) )  That leaves us with a nice little starting force since I also purchased a copy of the game and traded him the Elves for his Skaven.

Now then, the first thing we have to do (or at least the first thing I did) was drafted my 2000 point Skaven Army List.  I used a handy little program called 'Army Builder', and since you're reading this blog chances are you know what this little software gem is used for.  For the rest of you, it is a very nice way to whip up an army and have all of its points and special unit abilities included in a list that you can print out and take with you for easy reference.  Now, enough with shamelessly plugging products and lets begin.

In my little army I am going to need about 150 Clan Rats, 5 weapons teams, a couple casters (Engineers), about 5 Rat Ogres w/ handler, a converted Warlord General with a Rat Ogre mount, a Doom Wheel and I think we're just going to go ahead and convert/customize a Hellpit Abomination.

Now, more about the conversions.  Since I now have two character Warlords from the IOB sets, I think it would be a shame to not have one of them riding a Rat Ogre.  First of all...it's just too cool, and second, it adds some diversity to our army.  It is really not a major conversion and should take little time and additional work to complete.  The second conversion, however, is going to take a lot more of our time and involves some of the models we'll be receiving from the auction.  (Assuming everything goes as planed and we actually win!)

I've decided to use the Doom Wheel (in the pending auction) as our conversion piece.  I'll also be using one of the Rat Ogres, A suitable rubber or plastic rat model from the dollar store (also known as the, 'Place where conversions are conceived and made possible' Store, some Green Stuff modeling putty, and a bunch of odds and end bits we have lying around from our Skaven sprues.

Now that we know what we're painting, lets take a look at where we're painting.  Below is a picture of my work space.  I use a lighted magnifying glass and an additional 150 watt 'true light' lamp.  The surface is covered in a white card stock and all of my tools are handy and within an arm's reach.  I used an extra case from one of my airbrushes to make a 'Wet Pallet', which basically consists of the thin black packing foam the brush came with and some 'Baking' sheets of paper (commonly available next to your favorite brand of plastic wrap and aluminum foil at the grocery store)  This setup keeps your paint moist while painting and prevents a ton of waste by having your paint dry prematurely on the pallet. 
Make a suitable Work Space!
Now that we have everything we need to get started, lets do just that!  I'll post several works in progress pics as we start building our project from the ground up!  See you soon, and in the meantime, keep your fingers crossed we win our auction!

Casey.

Comments

Popular Posts