Brush vs. Airbrush - Weapon's Teams Painting

Today I decided to employ two different techniques, good old brush and airbrushing, on two very similar models, just to see what I actually preferred, and which took the most time to get the effect I desired.

Since we have two duplicate teams of Poison Wind Mortars, and Warpfire Throwers, I wanted to paint them in a different scheme to keep them identifiable and unique.  I based each in the colors I chose, Vallejo Black and Dark Green respectively.


Next, the experiment..
I first used my airbrush with a base color of Badger 'Grass Green', and applied this to the model for a mid-tone.  I covered the raised areas and open flat areas of the cloth and head pieces, leaving the original Dark Green in the recesses and areas that appeared to be shaded.

Next I added a couple drops of 'Boring Green' to the mix, and used this to highlight the raised areas and began my gradual gradation towards a lighter green on the edges of the robes and head piece.  Lastly, I added two more drops of Boring Green to the mix (now at a 4 Grass Green to 4 Boring Green ratio) and hit only the very edges of the model for highlights.

I then broke out the brush and copied those steps, but instead used the colors 'Ork Hide' and 'Pale Flesh' as mid-tone and highlight.  Here are the results.  The model on the left is brushed, and the model on the right is Airbrushed.


As far as the time it took to paint each of the models, it was definitely faster to paint with the airbrush, hands down.  Furthermore, if I had been painting several models, say a batch of Clan Rats, then the process would have saved considerable time since I would not have had to hand detail each model and instead mass highlight the entire batch with a few button presses of the trigger.

When it come down to which model I think looks better?  Hard to say.  Each has its own appeal.  For example, I like the more defined highlights on the ridges of the brushed model, but enjoy the subtle transitions from light to dark the airbrush provides.  So as far as preference goes?  I'm undecided.

Next we're going to wash the flesh tones using Army Painter 'Soft Shade' and add the metallics and wood colorings to the weapons, which we'll do while the wash dries.


I used 'Brass' from Vallejo mixed 1 to 1 with 'Charred Brown', to give a more copper look to our metal pieces.  I used 'Flesh Tone Ink' for the wood, and some basic Black for the hair on the rat arms.  The metal and wood pieces were washed with 'Dark Shade' from Army Painter. 

Next we'll highlight the skin using a mix of our P3 'Elf Flesh' and Vallejo 'Pale Flesh' colors.  I mixed by preference on the skin, not sticking to a set ratio, and added more Pale Flesh to the mix when I wanted to lighten a specific area.  I added 'Cold Steel', from P3, to the areas I wanted to paint Silver, and highlighted the Black using my trusty Vallejo 'Shadow Gray'.  I washed the Silver areas using a basic Black wash.


All we have left to do now is to paint the hoses black, and then the fun can happen!  (Say it with me) Glowing Green Highlights!!!

Until next time,

Casey

Comments

Popular Posts