You say Patona, I say Patina...

Okay, no one actually says Patona, but hey..it's a catchy Title.  So, what is Patina?  Rust, basically - The green stuff left on metals, like Brass and Bronze, when oxidation occurs...and as model painters, we love it!


I recently completed some Skaven Rat Ogres and utilized this technique, so I thought I'd pass on what I did to you!

Hold on, this is a long one!  (It's very simple though, so don't run off)

First we need to select our colors.  You can use anything blue and green to make the effect, so it's really a preference choice.  I chose the following three colors to make my Patina.  (Boring Green, Hydra Turquoise, Goblin Green)


I mixed the first base color using the green and blue, leaning a little more towards blue in the mix.  No logic behind this, I just prefer the color.  I then added that mix to the areas around the metal device on the Ogre's back and the ball on his left hand.

It's important to note that while the Patina can occur anywhere there is corrosion, I elected to place it around areas where moisture could leak from seams and joints, along with the areas of flat surface directly below those joints.  Again, just a personal preference.


I then added a bit more blue to the mix, and drug in some of the lighter colored green, just to lighten the tint.  I applied this much like you would any highlight to a flat surface, leaving plenty of the dark initial color bordering the edges I wanted to keep shaded.



I continued adding the lighter green to the mix and applying it to subsequent highlights, each time ensuring not to entirely cover the last layer I added.  I used straight 'Boring Green' to add the last little dots of bright highlight, as a final step to the greens.



Lastly, I mixed 'Parasite Brown' and 'Hot Orange', in a 1/1 ratio, and applied that color to the model using a stipple brush.  This simulated rust, and brought the effect together with a final tie-in.



See, that wasn't so bad!  Well, I hope this helps you out, I know it sure was fun to do and really looks good! (In my opinion anyway)

Until next time,

Casey

Comments

Popular Posts