BS to the B

It was a coin toss between starting our Rat Ogres and our BSB.  (Battle Standard Bearer).  Inspiration struck and the BSB won!

I want our little guy to stand out from the rest of the crowd, and not only based on the fact he's carrying the banner.  His paint job should reflect a little uniqueness befitting his position in our ranks.  I also wanted to experiment with some color combos just to see if I like them.  Lets get started and I'll expound.






We got us here another Chieftain model (Warlord) from the Island of Blood kit.  Remember, we have two sets, one purchased and one traded with a friend.  We used our other one to mount a Warlord on a Rat Ogre, and this one will bear our standard.

My thought process here was I wanted to portray some 'plagueness' to his clothing, but through coloring and not OSL or weathering.  So lets see what I came up with.


First step was to choose our colors.  Here we have decided to use 'Boring Green' (Badger Air) for our base tone, and add some 'Flesh Tone', mixed with 'Ichor' (2 Flesh to 1 Ichor), to create a tan'ish color.

This mix we apply as a highlight to his robes, but only to the raised areas and places we want to indicate light.

  
Then we washed the shadow areas with the base 'Boring Green', adding 'Dark Green' (Badger Air) to the mix on a gradual basis.  I can't really give a ratio, but it took 4 washes to get to the level of darkness you see here.

It is important to note we applied the wash to the shadow areas, but also blended it into the perimeter of the highlight areas, so we could avoid the 'Hard Line' highlight.

Finally, 'Skull White' was used to add the missing 'Hard Line' areas, like on the edges, tips of the robes and folded creases (Like the one near the tail)

I had to let this dry overnight before I can continue, so I'll update you on the progress soon.  I'd like him to be finished by game night, which is this Thursday.  We are set to face off against the Empire, in a 1500 point game.

*UPDATE*

Okay, so I couldn't wait and decided to block in all the base colors and apply the 'Dark Shade' wash to the skin and shinny stuff.  Here's where we're at so far.



UPDATE #2
Okay, so I was painting and didn't take any progress pictures because I'm wiped out, tired, beat, exhausted, and all those other 'sleepy' words that give me an excuse to make a quick post and go to bed.  Here he is finished...Still not sure I even like the robe.  I think a more dull olive green scheme would have been better.  Good night all!




Until next time,

Casey

Comments

Popular Posts