Swampy Bases - Time to get Icky.

You really can't call a model complete until the base is done, well...in my opinion anyway.  So lets 'complete' some models.  As you recall we're working on completing 19 rats for a pledge we made on miniwargaming.com.  (Side note:  Bye Ash, you'll be missed)  All the models have been painted but we're going to set them off with a flare by making them a swampy home.

Now before I start here I'm going to suggest you take these steps out of order, since I did them quickly and figured out I screwed up.  I recommend painting the bases first, then applying the flock, THEN adding the blobs of muck.  You'll see in the steps below I did it quite differently.

Regardless, lets get started.  Here I used a glue gun to add blobs of swamp bubbles to the bases.  It goes rather quickly and the only thing you really have to watch out for, to prevent a lot of unnecessary post-glue clean-up, is to pull the gun away quickly and immediately detach the strand that will undoubtedly form between the base and the gun nozzle. 

After it was dry I used a hobby knife to remove the unfavorable trailing ends and strands.
 

Next I mixed the swamp base color, using Vallejo 'Dark Green' and 'Charred Brown'  (4 Green to 2 Brown) and applied this mix over the bubbles and bases.  I applied glue to the areas I wanted to flock and used a dark green / brown flock mix. 

Here is where I realized I should have reversed the order of my process.  Flock was everywhere and I had to use a brush to scrape the flock off the bubbles and unwanted areas.  What a time waster!


Lastly, I loaded the airbrush with 'Jaundice' from Badger Airbrush line, and used it to highlight the bubbles.  I did this from about 4" above the bubble and tried to highlight only the tops of the bubbles.  Additionally, I angled the spray so it would cast back towards the model, to not only lighten the grass around the area, but to create a dark shadow around a section of the bubble, adding depth.


So, all in all the effect is pleasing.  Here is a picture of the finished unit, in all its gory...errr glory.


We'll be working on some more Rat Ogres, a BSB and breaking out the Doomwheel soon! 

Until next time,

Casey

Comments

Popular Posts